Monday, February 22, 2010

In Cynthia Selfe’s Essay “Lest We Think the Revolution is a Revolution,” she describes how technology has had the stereotype to be for men. She also describes a world where technology would be for anyone whether it is for men or women. She says this change is possible, but very difficult. She states, “These roles exist, and are reproduced, within a set of over determined social formations that makes radical change hard to imagine and even harder to enact-especially when technology is involved.” This quote means that the role of women computer geeks is out there, but the stereotype is that a computer geek is a man. Early technological advances have been made by guys. The car was invented by a guy. The internet was invented by a group of guys. This stems from how society is run. Western society is usually run in a patriarchal manner. Men have oppressed women for thousands of years. So while women are staying at home, changing diapers, the men are at work inventing something new. This may be the case. I think that because a woman’s brain is physically wired differently than a man’s, men have an easier time with technology and machines. Women may have an easier time with reading and literature due to the difference in brain wiring. This may have driven the early civilizations to be patriarchal. I think that because of these reasons, the role of women technology geeks will either stay where it is at with regard to how many there are, or decline. Most women that I talk to are just not interested in science and technology. Right now, I am helping fix a girls computer. All she said to me was, “I don’t care what you do, just make it work.” I have heard this said by many other women many times before. My mother says it to me all the time with the home computer. She either wakes me up or my father. Another friend has computer problems, but doesn’t want me to tinker with her computer in the fear that I’ll severely damage it. I have never once seen a woman even try to explore a hard drive. With every woman that I have worked with on a computer, I had to tell them what I was messing with. I had to tell them what it did and what not because they had never heard of it before. This I believe contributes to the oppression of women. There are so few out there that can immerse themselves in technology and not get confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment