Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Reading Response #7 Sontag

Susan Sontag wrote a story called “In Plato’s Cave.” She describes how photographs are related to guns in the interpretation that they are predatory. She states, “Eventually, people might learn to act out more of their aggressions with cameras and fewer with guns, with the price being an even more image-choked world.” By this she means that when Joe the Ragman gets pissed off at someone, they won’t shoot them with a gun, they will shoot them with a camera. Joe won’t kill them. Instead, he will have a photograph of them. I don’t believe it will get this far. To me, taking a photograph of someone isn’t very satisfying. I don’t experience any type of catharsis when I take a photo. That emotional all happens when I pull the trigger of a shotgun multiple times. I see a camera as a fun thing. I use it when I want to remember something later on in life. They are happy moments like a vacation or a special occasion (i.e. weddings, parties). Why would I want to remember getting pissed off at someone for something that was really dumb?
Cameras can be used to blackmail someone. For argument purposes, let’s say that Obama has killed someone rather brutally. Also, for argument purposes, let’s say that I witnessed it and took a picture of it with my phone. I could use this photo to fork some money out of him or control the government. The use of camera’s can also be used predatorily in the courts. They offer up some very convincing evidence. That same photo graph I took in the hypothetical situation could be used to land him in jail. This would be the only way I could get satisfaction from taking a photograph. If the photo compromises someone else, it will satisfy me. I know that I am not the only one that feels this way. This leads me to believe that our world is driven by hurting other people. Humans try to accumulate as much wealth as they possibly can. If I hit Joe Schmoes car and I don’t have insurance, I know that he will sue me for the damages. I gave him the excuse to screw me, and he is going to take it. When it comes to possessions, humans get very testy and passionate. People will defend their possessions until it gets deadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment