Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Taking Over our Brain.

“Is Google making us Stupid?” is an article written by Nicholas Carr. Our section is about how the internet is taking over the way we think and read text. It is becoming difficult to read a book or lengthy article. We become accustom to the fast-pace of the Internet.

“My mind isn’t going – so far as I can tell – but it’s changing. I’m not thinking the way I used to think. I can feel it most strongly when I’m reading.” This is convincing because he states how he loses focus and concentration when he is reading something. The way we used to think if different today because of the overuse of the media (television, Internet).

“But that boon comes at a price.” He states how the Internet is not all good. He explains how “They supply the stuff of thought, but also shape the process of thought.” This is convincing because the Internet reduces our concentration and the way we think.

“For me, as for others, the Net is becoming a universal medium, the conduit for most of the information that flows through my eyes and ears into my mind.” This is interesting to think that the Internet is the main source for information when before it was text. We can learn anything from the Internet.

“And what the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation. My mind now expects to take in information the way the Net distributes it: in a swiftly moving steam of particles.” We gain information from the Internet but it is killing our thought process. It is interesting that our mind thinks like the Internet and everything has to be fast-paced.

No comments:

Post a Comment