Thursday, February 11, 2010

Is Google Making Us Stupid-Response: Hannah G.

Hannah Gowen

English 100a

11 February 2010

Reading Response: Google

In the article “Is Google Making Us Stupid?”, Nicholas Carr discusses how easy things are nowadays for people in searching for information. Whenever someone like myself is asked a question and do not know the answer, we usually just say “Google it!” I will admit, I’ve said that to others who have asked me. It is because information is so easy to find nowadays just by typing in a phrase or word on a certain search engine. Google is the main search engine like Carr discusses about, and we all know it. We do not just look into books anymore to seek information, maybe some of us do but a majority would have to agree with this. We like things to be given to us at a faster pace, and the internet for sure has that ability. We can just type in what we want an answer for and a few seconds later, it is given to us right in front of our faces. The title of this article, “Is Google Making Us Stupid?” does not really give off the right vibe for this article in my opinion. Yeah Carr states and expresses with great detail that yeah Google is a huge search engine, but is it really making it us stupid or is it just an easier way to seek information? To me, it is an easier way to seek information. Way back when, people had to search in books and find certain information. Nowadays, who really wants to take the time to do so when almost everything we do is based on technology? I think since when I started using the Internet at a young age, I have just grown into it and I do not think it should be something to worry about. We should all still be able to read a book when we have time and be able to sit and even read a magazine without getting so distracted. It is not really that hard to read a lengthy book, but for some it is I guess. Carr then states that we read more than we did back in the 1970’s and 1980’s because back then television was the medium. We are reading but we aren’t at the same time, we are just reading summaries. I cannot accept Carr’s overall statement. I think his claim is that technology makes lives easier for a lot of people, but it is not always for the best for us users. I don’t fully agree with this. There are plenty of people who have different lifestyles and who can use the Internet and not get so caught up in it. I also think to further my statement, is that people do have the ability to read a long book and still not rely on the Internet for usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment